Since 1951, the Benton County Historical Society has been preserving historical artifacts, photographs, and manuscripts. After Philomath citizens prevented the demolition of the 1867 Philomath College building and placed it on the National Register of Historic Places, The Society opened the building to the public in 1980 as a history museum, research library and art gallery.
The Society continues to protect our cultural and
historical heritage. In 2005, the Society accepted the
responsibility of preserving the Horner Collection,
formerly owned by Oregon State University. To house
this vast collection and the Society's accumulation of
important historical objects, the Society built a 13,500
square foot Collections Care Facility in 2007 on the
Philomath campus for its growing collection of over
Preserve the material and intellectual culture of Benton County, Oregon, by acquiring and caring for significant collections that illustrate and interpret the history of the area and its relationship to the world;
Enrich people's lives through exhibitions and educational programs.