|About Benton County Historical Society & Museum
Since 1951, the Benton County Historical
Society has been preserving historical artifacts,
photographs, and manuscripts. After Philomath citizens prevented
the demolition of the 1867 Philomath College
building and placed it on the National Register of Historic
Places, The Society opened the building to the public in 1980 as
a museum, research library and art gallery.
The Benton County Historical Museum artifact collection comprises approximately 66,000 items that illustrate the diverse themes of our Benton County, Oregon heritage. This extensive collection of Benton County related history materials includes 22,000 objects, maps, books, and documents, and approximately 44,000 images. Areas of collecting are based on local themes ranging from logging to technology to the arts, as well as specific topics such as Camp Adair, a World War II Military cantonment, and Philomath College, a United Brethren College that now houses the Museum.
In 2005, the Society accepted the
responsibility of preserving the Horner Collection,
formerly owned by Oregon State University. To house
this vast collection and the Society's accumulation of
important historical objects, the Society built a 13,500
square foot Collections Care Facility in 2007 on the
Philomath campus for its growing collection of over