|They called it "Swamp Adair"
During World War II, enlisted men from all 48 states came to an army cantonment--temporary quarters for troops--called Camp Adair.
The camp was located in the mid-Willamette Valley six miles north of Corvallis, Oregon.
From 1942 to 1944, over 100,000 soldiers trained for combat at Camp Adair. About 34,000 of those soldiers trained with infantry divisions.
Camp Adair had an impact on the lives of the soldiers sent there, on the land and people of Benton County, and on the regional economy.