3d Models of Museum Artifacts

Alex Nyers, from Northwest Archaeometrics, is creating 3D scans of a few of our artifacts. They can be enjoyed online through the SketchFab web site. Click on the images below to view them.  You don't have to sign up, or create an account, but you do have to have a fairly recent computer and updated browser to get the full effect (zooming in, spining them around with your mouse or touch screen, etc.). Visit Northwest Archaeometrics' web site to learn more about what they do: http://www.nwarchaeo.com/

As of October 2016 we have 19 models online.  View them all >>

 

Digital 3D model making at Benton County Museum, 2016, by Alex Nyers of Northwest Archaeometrics
Structured light 3D scanning

3D scanning by Alex Nyers of Northwest Archaeometrics, Oregon, USA
3D photogrammetry

Philomath College building

Philomath College building by Benton County Museum on Sketchfab

 

Globe, Germany, c. 1860

The mid 19th century was a time of rapidly expanding knowledge of the world, and educated people thought it necessary to have a globe in their home, both to follow the news and teach their children. In Germany, Johann Georg Klinger (1764-1809) responded by establishing a company making globes. After his death, his wife ran the business for many years before eventually selling it. Carl Abel joined the firm in 1851 as a salesman, becoming manager and later owner. The company produced a variety of small globes for sale to schools and middle class families. This model, titled “The Earth,” says that it was “constructed, delineated and etched by J. A. Buhler.” The base contains a small compass.

Globe, Germany, c. 1860 by Benton County Museum on Sketchfab

 

WPA Sculpture

Robert E. Harbison carved this Beaver sculpture from Port Orford cedar in 1934 as part of the Oregon Public Works Art Project during the Great Depression. It is now part of the artifact collection at the Benton County Historical Society in Philomath, Oregon.

Beaver by Benton County Museum on Sketchfab

 

Serving Spoon

This Cleopatra pattern silverware manufactured by Schulz and Fischer of San Francisco, California has a monogram of MA for Martha Avery, wife of Corvallis (Oregon) founder, J.C. Avery. The pattern reflects the interest in motifs from other lands in the second half of the nineteenth century. The large serving spoon is coated with gold for better protection against the acids in some foods.

Serving Spoon by Benton County Museum on Sketchfab

 

Oreodont Skull

Oreodont Skull by Benton County Museum on Sketchfab

Early American Drum

The person who donated this drum to our museum stated “The drum was handed down from a great-grandfather who received it from a man who carried it in the War of 1812. It may have been carried in the Revolutionary War.” This military field snare drum features a hand-painted eagle and the word “LIBERTY” across the bottom.

Drum by Benton County Museum on Sketchfab

 

Revolutionary War Powder Horn

This powder horn and was used by Samuel Phelps in The Revolutionary War and later came from New York across the plains to Oregon about 1850. Samuel Phelps was born on December 10, 1756. One of his sons by the name of, Lucius W. Phelps (L.W. Phelps) was awarded a donation land claim in Linn County, Oregon on December 23, 1852, therefore that is probably how the powder horn arrived in Oregon.

Powder Horn by Benton County Museum on Sketchfab