BENTON COUNTY CEMETERIES
Historical and contemporary cemeteries of Benton County, Oregon, as listed on the "Benton County Cultural Resources Inventory" of 1984-1986.
NOTE: Please respect private property. Many of the resources included on this map are private property and are not open to the public; others are accessible by appointment only.
The Alpine Cemetery (historic name: Simpson's Chapel Cemetery) is located on the former Jessie Belknap Donation Land Claim. This cemetery might originally have been the Belknap family burial plot. In 1904, Simpson Chapel, originally located between Alpine and Bellfountain, moved to Alpine, on Alpine Road just south of the cemetery. It burned down in the early 1970s.
c. 1873 (probably earlier)
The Alsea Cemetery, located about three-fourths of a mile west of the town of Alsea, is the largest cemetery in southwestern Benton County. The oldest gravestone has a date of 1873, but an earlier date for the cemetery is suggested by the discovery of unrecorded graves outside the platted area. Many of the Alsea area's earliest families are buried here.
The Armstrong Cemetery consists of approximately 20 graves, of which about 13 are marked. No members of the Armstrong family are known to be buried here; the cemetery is supposedly named for former owners of the land. One family plot (Hanson) is enclosed by a partly collapsed ornamental wrought iron fence, patented by Crowell in 1865, and one of only two in the county.
The Bellfountain Cemetery, located on Dawson Road, one half mile east of the town of Bellfountain, was established in the 1850s on land donated by H.G. Buckingham. The land was first deeded to a board of trustees for the use of the community. Later a corporation was formed. The cemetery's plat was filed with Benton County in 1900.
The Blodgett Cemetery was established on the William Blodgett Donation Land Claim by 1876 (the earliest date observed on a gravestone). But the first burial was probably Maria Blodgett in the late 1860s. The half-acre cemetery has more than 100 burials, but was never platted with the county.
This cemetery is one of the oldest in continuous use in Benton County. Native Armericans are said to have used it before the Europeans came to this area. It was chosen because it is well above the flood level of the Willamette River. Over 3,500 people have been buried here since the cemetery was dedicated in 1860 by J.C. Alexander, one of the founders of Corvallis. A monument to veterans of the Civil War was dedicated on Memorial Day in 1908.
c. 1863 - 1911
Andrew Emerick (Emerich) obtained title to the former Clement Barker Donation Land Claim in this location in 1861. His great uncle, John Nicholas Emerich, was John Jacob Astor's partner. Andrew Emerick died in 1863 and was possibly the first burial in this location. There are 16 marked graves, most of which represent the Emerick family and allied families.
The Gingles Cemetery, one of the oldest in Benton County, is located on the former James Gingles Donation Land Claim. It might originally have been a family burying ground.
c. 1885 (probably earlier)
Located in the foothills of the Coast Range on the northern edge of the Beaver Creek Community, the Henderson Cemetery was established as a family plot for the Perman Henderson family, who settled in this area in 1857. Several other families have graves in this cemetery. Most notable is the grave (unmarked) of William F. Dixon, co-founder of Corvallis.
The Hendrix-Lobster Valley Cemetery is accessed via a logging road off Lobster Valley Road near its intersection with the Alsea-Deadwood Highway. The cemetery was established by the Hendrix family in about 1917. Local tradition says that upon relocating to Lobster Valley, the Hendrix family transported the remains of one of their family matriarchs, according to her request before her death. Thus the earliest gravestone is marked 1906 (the death of the Hendrix reburial). There are 25-50 burials in all.
c. 1850s - 1905
Richard Irwin, a native of Ireland, came to Oregon in 1850. In 1851, he took up a donation land claim on the west side of Winkle Butte and established a post office, store, and grocery, known as Jennyopolis. The Irwin family burying ground appears to have been established in the 1850s upon the death of Irwin's infant son. The parents of Louisa Kompp, Richard Irwin's wife, are also buried here.
c. 1857 - 1870
The King Family Burying Ground is located on the former Isaac King Donation Land Claim. Buried in this plot are Isaac King, who died in 1866, his daughter, Ellen, who preceded him in death in 1857, and Lillie M. Zumwalt, the daughter of Isaac King's wife and her second husband. Possibly there is a fourth, unmarked, burial. Kings Valley was named for the King family. Isaac King's house is currently listed on the National Register.
Located on the Charles Allen Donation Land Claim, the King's Valley Cemetery probably dates to the late 1840s, although the earliest date on a gravestone is 1850. In addition to the graves of the earliest Kings Valley pioneers, there are graves of several soldiers who served at Fort Hoskins, located several miles to the west.
The Locke Cemetery, one of the oldest in Benton County, is located on the former Donation Land Claim of A.N. Locke. On August 21, 1855, A.N. Locke deeded it to the citizens of Benton County, for use as a cemetery.
The Lone Fir Cemetery is the older of the two cemeteries in the Lobster Valley region. It was established in the mid-1880s on the Sapp family homestead. Until the 1920s, this was the only cemetery in the area. The Sapps deeded the land to the community at some point, although the land appears to be in private ownership now. The most recent burial was in the 1950s.
This cemetery, established by 1872, was originally called the Mays Burying Ground and later the Strouts Burying Ground after successive owners of the farm on which it is located. The cemetery began as a family plot and was never platted. But in 1884, S.W. and C.B. Mays deeded the land to the trustees of the Summit Burying Ground.
c. 1865 - 1893
The two McBee gravesites, enclosed by an ornate cast iron fence with a gate, are located at the top of the larger of two buttes known as Wagner Buttes (formerly Winkle Buttes). Gravestones mark the graves of William and Elizabeth McBee, husband and wife.
The Monroe Cemetery probably began as a family plot for the Hinton family, whose donation land claim included this parcel of land. The earliest marked grave is that of one of the Hinton children, who died in 1850. Now the cemetery has between 100 and 150 interrments and is slightly tended. A plat of this cemetery has not been located in county records.
The Mt. Union Cemetery was established in 1861 after two acres were donated by Reuben Shipley, an early black pioneer of Benton County, on the condition that black people could be buried there.
The North Palestine Baptist Church was on this site from 1891 to 2010. By moving the church to Adair Village, the cemetery was able to make room for 700 more graves.
This cemetery is part of Donation Land Claim No.45, issued to James A. Bennett. The sloping site is covered with green lawns dotted with massive native oak trees. There is a beautiful view eastward across the Willamette Valley and beyond to the Cascade Range. At the present time the cemetery consists of 21.51 acres. Benton Memorial Park Association, a cemetery association incorporated under the laws of the state of Oregon, was formed on the 27th day of September 1935. Oregon State football coach Dee Andros is buried here
The Oakridge Cemetery, associated with the Oakridge Presbyterian Church, nearby schools, the Willamette Grange, and the Inavale post office and store, formed part of a distinct community. The land was never part of a donation land claim. The church, which existed until about 1938, was located on the north side of the cemetery.
The IOOF Pioneer Cemetery atop Witham Hill in Corvallis represents one of the few pioneer cemeteries in the state, making it historically important. One old tombstone marks the grave of S.L. Christolear, a corporal in Co. B, 1st Oregon Cavalry, Army of the Pacific, 1861-1865. The company's mission was to protect the Oregon Trail during the Civil War. Probably the most impressive marker is on the McFadden lot. However, other pioneer names, such as Wiotham, Henkle, King, and Kiger, can be found.
c. 1887 - 1942
This cemetery is located near the former townsite of Peak on the northwest side of Mary's Peak. Harrison Davidson and his wife, Virginia Cramer Davidson, settled a homestead in this area in 1885. The cemetery is considered a family plot, as most of the graves represent members of the Davidson and Cramer families. The almost square plot is bordered by a wire fence and gate.
This pioneer cemetery, located in the foothills of the Coast Range on the Philomath-Alsea Highway, was established in 1854 from a one-acre plot conated by Charity Ann Rexford from the Rexford Donation Land Claim. The first marked grave is that of Ann Henkle, 1856, but the first burials were in 1854.
The Powell Cemetery, actually a family burying ground for the family of J.S.S. Powell, is located at the western end of Llewellyn Road and is accessible via a private drive. J.S.S. Powell obtained title to land in this location from Perman Henderson in 1875. The earliest date for a burial is not known; there are no gravestones in this cemetery. Markers consist of metal "funeral home" markers and most of the information on the cards with these markers is unreadable.
This cemetery, one of Benton County's oldest, is located on the former donation land claim of Thomas Reeves, who arrived in 1845 and is considered Benton County's earliest Euroamerican settler. Graves of many of the county's earliest families (Fosters, Curriers, Lloyds, and Reeves) are here. The cemetery is also known as the Edwards cemetery. There are no recorded burials from the Edwards family, but James Edwards owned the land surrounding the cemetery for many years beginning in 1862. The James Edwards house and barn are located south of the cemetery.
The Ridder Cemetery is essentially a family burying ground; most of the burials are members of the Ridder family. The earliest marked grave is that of Frank Ridder who died in 1880.
The Robinson Family Burying Ground, located in what is now known as the Huntington subdivision, has only two burials, those of Benaiah Robinson and his wife Jane. Benaiah Robinson died in 1869 and was buried in this little plot on his donation land claim. Jane Robinson died in 1885 and was buried next to Benaiah. Four concrete obelisks placed at the corners of the plot with wire betwen them form the cemetery's fence.
The 2½ acres of land for St. Mary's Cemetery was purchased on April 9,1873, for $50.00. The property had been used previously as a burial site with three graves (earliest 1866). There are stones showing earlier burial dates but these graves were probably relocated in later years. The cemetery was in a state of neglect for many years, until a perpetual care fund was set up in the 1960s after the death of Gertrude Nolan and her sister-in-law Grace. In 1972 the cemetery was re-platted and in 1974 it was improved with landscaping.
The St. Rose Catholic Cemetery, established in 1885, shortly after construction of St. Rose Catholic Church, is the only Catholic cemetery in the county outside of Corvallis. It has approximately 100 burials, but was never platted with the county. Members of the Wilhelm family, a prominent Monroe family in large part responsible for construction of the Catholic Church in Monroe, are buried here.
The Summit Cemetery was already established by 1874, based on the earliest date of death observed on a gravestone. Although it was not originally platted, a Summit Cemetery Association was eventually formed and the cemetery was recorded in 1929 in the Benton County Plat Book.
c. 1860s - 1870s
This cemetery was established by the Winkle family, probably in the 1860s, but possibly earlier.Of the six marked graves, the earliest, the grave of Martha Winkle, Isaac Winkle's wife, is dated 1867. No burials are recorded after 1875. Noted in 1984, "The cemetery is not fenced or tended, and cattle roam freely over the graves."
The Wren Cemetery, located on a low knoll above and west of the former Wren Church in the town of Wren, was established by 1857, based on the earliest date of death observed on a gravestone. In 1859, the cemetery land was deeded to the United Brethren Church by George Wrenn. No plat of the cemetery was ever filed with the county.