Curator of Education
SUPERVISOR: Executive Director
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full time, salaried, exempt.
LOCATION: Corvallis/Philomath, Oregon
The Curator of Education will manage the educational programming for the Society’s two museum venues: Corvallis Museum and Philomath Museum, ensuring that these programs align with the BCHS mission by developing and implementing programs and activities that engage the community.
Major Position Responsibilities
- Develop and implement museum activities and programs for all audiences: adults, students, teachers and families.
- Recruit, train, and supervise docents and interns to help implement programs and ensure a positive visitor experience.
- Write or assist in writing grant proposals and grant reporting to support education programs.
- Compile various monthly and annual reports detailing department activities.
- Give input to the Executive Director for expense budget for education programs.
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships and partnerships with local and regional school districts.
- Coordinate the production of education program materials including docent training manuals and curriculum materials.
- Advise and manage the Docent Guild and provide staff support.
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships and partnerships with local and regional non-profits and professional museum educators statewide.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required for this Position
- B.A. in art, education or a related field; M.A. in Museum Studies preferred
- Multi-lingual, especially in Spanish, preferred
- Minimum of three years museum experience or equivalent
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Comfortable with public speaking and representing the BCHS in a public forum
- Strong organization and project management skills
- Knowledge of the theories and history of museum education
- Knowledge of educational theory and practice
- Ability to create age-appropriate learning experiences in art, history and culture
- Ability to maintain collaborative relationships with area schools and teachers
- Ability to promote all activities of the BCHS Education Department
- Ability to supervise and inspire docents
- Attention to details, and follow through on long and short-term projects or goals
- Ability to work as a team member with staff, volunteers and members of the Board
- Ability to cultivate relationships with colleagues, museum members, and donors
- Responsible to: Executive Director
- Supervise directly:
- Education interns
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Available to work during museum hours at the Corvallis Museum, Wednesday through Sunday, 11 am to 5:30 pm
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to accommodate after-hours education programs, events and activities
- Possession of a valid driver’s license
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds
- Capable of operating a computer and understanding databases
- Capable of handling multiple projects simultaneously.
Established Guidelines for Position
To apply, please send cover letter, CV or resume, and a writing sample by July 31, 2019 to:
Irene Zenev, Executive Director
Benton County Historical Society
PO Box 35
Philomath, OR 97370