Benton County Historical Society & Musuem, Oregon Benton County Historical Society Museum logo

 

P.O. Box 35
Philomath, OR 97370
541.929.6230
Visit the museum!

Contact :: Donate spacer
black spacer
Horner Museum Tour Guide series publications free Benton County Business Directories   Benton County Oregon dynamic history timeline
black spacer
spacer
BCHS&M, Philomath, Oregon
> Home
> About BCHS
> Board of Trustees
> Contact
> Contributors
> Directions
> Donate
> Education Resources
> Exhibition Schedule
> Events
> Links
> Membership
> Museum Store
> News Archive
> Online Exhibitions
> Press Room
> Research
> Site Map
> Strategic Plan
> Volunteers
 
+ Cockrell Quilts
+ Horner Collection
+ Genealogical Society
+ Quilt Guild

 

Benton County Historical Timeline: 1950s


1950

Corvallis population: 16,207; Benton County: 31,570.

   

1951

On Tuesday, Oct. 30, the Benton County Historical Society is founded as the Benton County Pioneer-Historical Association at a meeting held in Education Hall of the Federated Church, with Claude Buchanan acting as temporary chairman. Ed A. Blake is the first president. Over the course of the next several weeks, the name of the association is changed to Benton County Pioneer-Historical Society.

On Nov. 20, the first regular meeting of the Benton County Pioneer-Historical Society is held at the home of President E.A. Blake.

Edgar A. and Lottie Blake    

1954

City of Corvallis begins condemnation of the riverfront (what is now Riverfront Park).

   

1955

Automated sawmill is developed by Mater.

   

1955

Dixie, Inavale, Mountain View, and Lincoln schools are incorporated into the Corvallis School District; Garfield elementary school in Corvallis is built.

   

1956

Philomath High School burns. A new school is quickly built and opens for fall, 1956.

   

1956

Timber harvests in Benton County begin to decline from an average of 175-200 million board feet (mbf) per year to about 156 mbf per year.

   

1956

Evans Products (now Evanite) purchases property from Ralph Chapman (site of former Fisher mill).

   

1957

Citizens Bank opens at Second Street and Madison Ave.

   

1957

Highland View Middle School opens at Highland Drive and Cleveland Ave.

   

Jan. 1, 1957

The Oregon State College Beavers lost to the Iowa Hawkeyes in the 43rd Rose Bowl.

1957 Oregon State University Rose Bowl program. 1957 Pasadena Rose Bowl football ticket.    

1958

Chamber Music Corvallis begins.

   

1958

Malamud publishes The Magic Barrel, which wins a National Book Award.

   

1959

The Ash Building, at Second and Western, was built for John Ash, the owner of Builder's Supply in Corvallis. The first occupants of the building were the Siuslaw National Forest, the Marys Peak Ranger Station, the offices of Builder's Supply, and Datron, Inc., an electronic data processing firm. The reinforced concrete building was built at a cost of $165,000. (Source: "Gazette-Times," Corvallis, Oregon, Thursday, October 22, 1959.) The building was designed by local architect Cleo Jenkins. Plans for this building are in the collection of the Benton County Historical Museum.

   

 

Return to Timeline Homepage

1840 | 1850 | 1860 | 1870 | 1880 | 1890

1900 | 1910 | 1920 | 1930 | 1940 | 1950 |1960 | 1970 | 1980 | 1990 | 2000

 

 

black spacer
© 2008 - 2014 Benton County Historical Society & Museum
Philomath, Oregon
The Benton County Historical Society is a nonprofit corporation that operates museum facilities for the preservation of history and culture.  Its mission is to:

  1. Preserve the material and intellectual culture of Benton County, Oregon, by acquiring and caring for significant collections that illustrate and interpret the history of the area and its relationship to the world;
  2. Enrich people's lives through exhibitions and educational programs.